although i have not used the word 'road trip' as a verb since college (as in, "im roadtrippin' it to Penn State this weekend"), i still listen to a lot of the mixes that i made.
i am especially fond of the mixes that i made for the specific purpose of driving back home, with my best friend (and now sister-in-law) lynn. she's an amazing singer, and i can have fun singing with her, no matter what the song.
however, i have a few that MUST be on my roadtrip mixes. (in no particular order)
1. bohemian rhapsody by queen. this is my favorite of all favorite songs to have on a car mix. just about everyone knows it, and most people sing along. how can you not? everyone has their favorite part. my favorite part you ask? scalaboosh, scalaboosh...can you do the fandango? warning: those words might not be completely accurate!
2. drunken lullabies by flogging molly. while lynn and i didnt' get into ANY drunken bar fights while we were in college (or at any time for that matter), i love listening to this in the car because it harkens to 'shenanigans.' and who doesn't love shenanigans?
3. sweet baby james by james taylor. i love this song. it is so slow and sweet...my parents used to sing it on car trips to visit my grandmother (she lived in kentucky). some of my friends used to make fun of me for having this song on a mix, but i think it totally has a place on all my mixes.
4. don't stop believin' by journey. friend tested, husband approved. my husband and i don't see eye to eye on many musical stylings. however, we see absolutely EYE to EYE on this little ditty. we scream this at the top of our lungs when we are on the way to the beach...i love to hear him sing, "....took the midnight train going annnnnyyyyyy-whhhhhhhhhheeeereeeeee." however, i am unsure how to feel about the new lead singer!!
5. the escape song by rupert holmes. best song ever. ok, well, maybe not EVER, but it's pretty awesome. i love this song because it reminds me of the movie "the sweetest thing" where the main characters played this song. my roommates and i danced to this song in the car whilst screaming out the lyrics: "if you like pina coladas, and gettin' caught in the rain"
there you have it....five MUST haves on any roadtrip mix. at least on my roadtrip mix. what about yours?